Friday, 8 June 2012

The Red Cross



Today I made the mistake of answering the phone to an 0845 number. There I was just happily watching the Hairy Bikers reform Meals on Wheels (which by the way is fantastic and makes me want to volunteer!) and then suddenly I'm having a phone conversation about the Red Cross.

I suppose this post is a bit of a mixed bag really. On the one hand the Red Cross do fantastic work which I'll go into in a moment but also I felt really pressured into not just handing over my money but setting up a monthly subscription of donations to them, every time I said I couldn't afford an amount there was an alternative, although as the lady did say they probably would have been glad to get anything.

Firstly I want to highlight the fantastic work the Red Cross do both domesticly and internationally and I want to say that I am in no way attempting to disparage them for trying to raise funds, this is just my own reaction to this.

For those of you who don't know and I'm not attempting to be patronising here, the Red Cross are engaged in work all over the world, they've responded to 300 disasters this year alone. They're currently in Syria engaged in evacuating people in danger and giving them medical treatment. Not only that but they work domesticly responding to emergencies such as house fires and gas explosions. And if that wasn't enough they also do first aid training, loan wheelchairs and other equipment and give out free first aid guides. This is an organisation that does need our support and really does worthwhile work.

I started this post thinking I was going to write a piece about feeling pressured into handing money I don't have over to this organisation but actually I think this is more about how guilty I feel that I don't have the money to hand over, or do I? Is it just that I'm too selfish to go without some of my luxuries in order to do so. The thing is, I like to think of myself as a good person, until all this happened and I became crazy housebound lady, I did give up a lot of my time volunteering; I ran Brownies, I taught special needs kids, I tutored, I fundraised. But when it came to handing over the cold hard cash today I felt reluctant. What is the difference between money and time? Why can I give one so freely and not the other?


By the way if you were interested in the Red Cross here's a link to their website. (not that I'm trying to get you to donate, more that its always good to have a poke around!)


British Red Cross

What do you guys think about this? Do you donate to charities?


No comments:

Post a Comment