Friday, 12 October 2012

Makeup and Me

What does makeup mean to you?

I’ve seen this tag around occasionally and it’s been lovely to have a little insight into the minds of people whose opinions I respect so much, so I thought I’d give it a go myself.

It’s funny because if you asked my friends or family who was the most likely person to start a beauty blog it certainly wouldn’t be me they thought of.
I never wore makeup when I was younger, all through school I was the girl with the glasses and hair in a bun, preferring to have the extra 10 minutes in bed than worry about what I looked like. I was bullied too so, although I’m no psychologist maybe I thought that I really was ugly and makeup wouldn’t make any difference.

This changed a bit when I met my boyfriend (although we’ve been together 4 years now and talked marriage etc. so I don’t know if that upgrades him to partner??!) I started to realise that maybe I was attractive and got a bit more interested in makeup , although that was nothing more really than a bit of eyeliner and mascara, enough to accentuate my natural features but nothing major.

I really came to makeup when my RSD came out of remission, nearly a year ago. I spent a lot of time in hospital and lying in bed and for someone who ran and baked and drove and wore jeans and heels everywhere this was a bit of a shock. Makeup was something that I could do, something that made my day a bit more varied and as much as this is a cliché made me feel better!


I’m not claiming to be an expert and I’m definitely not saying that I do a full face every day and there aren’t today where I’m in trackies and glasses without a scrap of makeup on and I’m fine about that! However, I am  saying that I am so thankful that I have makeup in my life now, it gives me the power to be who I want to be and to show that, I take great pleasure in turning up to hospital appointments in full face, I’m not the sick girl and I have makeup to thank for that!
 



Ok ramblings over, I’d love to hear your stories about makeup and you if you care to share?

6 comments:

  1. aww thats a lovely photo of you both.

    I have worn make up almost every day since I was 14. I had bad skin as a teenager and tried to cover it up. I have to wear make up I feel I could not go out without it although I am told by people I dont need it.
    ON the plus side I am nearly 40 and have no wrinkles or lines because my face has never been exposed to sunlight....so its a big plus point!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, I had bad skin too and I know its awful and really messes with your head. I still can't believe you're nearly 40 you look so good!

      xx

      Delete
    2. aww thanks Maddy. I don't want to age eek. x

      Delete
  2. Aww lovely photo. You look very pretty. We always let people get to us don't we. I let a group of guys get to me at school but when I see them now I wonder why I let them affect me! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats so true, I look at the people who bullied me and confused why I let them get to me now! Thank you for the compliment, this is my favourite photo of us, my boyfriend's not very photogenic! xx

      Delete
  3. I loved reading this post! You look fantastic!!!

    Can you please follow me? Not got many followers :(

    www.amandinaa.blogspot.com

    :) xxx

    ReplyDelete